Happy Birthday Dad!
Originally uploaded by jjzach
I made my Dad a cork board for his birthday/father’s day this year. I have been saving wine corks for some sort of crafty project for a while. It was fun to piece together the different sized corks and pick out nice designs. I only laid down one row at a time to make sure that the glue worked.
Here are my top 10 tips to reuse wine corks:
10. Pin cushion for pins and needles
9. Protection for storing sharp objects
8. Make a hot plate, trivet, coasters or bulletin board
7. Put a string through a few for a floatable keychain for your boat keys
6. Place corks inside planters to keep moisture in
5. Use for a science experiment (Make a water compass with a cork, a magnet, a needle and a bowl of water)
4. Make a hideous wreath for the holidays
3. Recycle your corks *See below
2. Sell your corks on ebay!?!?! (Who knew you could do that!)
1. Make a creative statement. Here are some great creative examples at Terramia | Crazy for Corks.
*Many countries recycle cork, but there aren’t any official programs in the US yet. I did find some information for recycling cork over at a site called Corkdork. The best U.S. recycling option seems to be shipping a bunch to a company called Yemm & Hart so they can be made into other cork products. Unfortunately you will have to pay your own shipping.